Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Do ya think it is winter yet??

With everyone else commenting on the bloody freezing cold - I just had to as well!
I think if I had balls, they would have frozen off this morning! *giggle*

Yesterday was a really yucky day for us, Rhian gave us quite a scare.......
It turned out to be "nothing serious" but at the time it was pretty bloody frightening, and I learned that I am an emotional eater!
She started the day with a slight cough, that seemed to get no worse through the day, then at about 3pm, she started wheezing, and within 30 minutes could hardly breathe and was having a major coughing fit.
It was really scarey to see her so upset and struggling to breathe.......
We all jumped in the car and headed straight for the Emergency Dr (5 minutes away) where they assesed her and tried to put her on a nebuliser (machine that creates steam) to help her to breathe properly. Of course she HATED it, and wouldnt have a bar of it, which made her breathing worse and she was screaming and crying and fighting it for all she was worth, until she finally got weaker and gave in for a few seconds....
Then the Dr gave her a dose of some sort of steroids to reduce the inflammation in her throat and we had to wait there for ages to make sure that she didnt have any kind of reaction to it.
Then we get told that if she gets worse, to bring her back, or if it is after 10pm to take her straight to A&E (half an hour drive away!!!)
Anyway, it turned out that she has croup........ so nothing major - and probably more distressing for the parents than the child suffering from it - and I would wholeheartedly agree with that one!!
Scarey - plain scarey!!
Anyway, because we left the house in such a hurry, neither Chris or myself had jackets, so we were frozen, Rhian was fine cos she was wrapped up snug as a bug.... the fire was just about out when we got home, the curtains were all open, the lights and tv was on and it was dark..... so then of course we had to get the house warm again so that she wouldnt have a relapse.....
ARGH!!!!!
Then last night, Chris and I both hardly slept at all, panicking that she would have another coughing fit and we would have to get her up and take her to hospital, but luckily (thank god) that never happened......... and now we are both shattered today, while Rhian seems happy as!
Chris stayed home with her today and took her back to the Dr, and I will stay home with her tomorrow, and after that I guess we will play it be ear.
She hasn't had anymore coughing fits, so that has to be a good sign!!

On to other things......... Like I said, I found out that even though I thought I was not an emotional eater, it turns out that I am! When we got home from the Dr's we had dinner, then after dinner we had a coffee, and that is when I started on Rhian's biscuits! Just plain digestive biscuits, but biscuits all the same! After about 6 I realised what I was doing and had to make myself stop, which I did, but it was freaky to see me doing that when I wasn't hungry at all....... but it was almost like the food offered me comfort and at that precise moment, nothing else mattered except the sweet taste of the biscuits melting in my mouth....... WEIRD!!!

But apart from my slight meltdown with the biscuits yesterday - I have been a diet queen this weekend, and also today! I didn't get to the gym this morning and after the shit night we had, there was NO way that I was gonna beat myself up about it either!!
I'll try to get there tomorrow morning, but again, it will depend on how Rhian is and what kind of night we have.... I'll make a decision in the morning.
I have planned out our meals again for this week, and it makes it soooo much easier for everyone! We both know exactly what needs to come out of the freezer, or what veges need to be prepared. Makes me wonder why the hell I didnt start doing this years ago!!

I was supposed to have my weigh in today for the start of "The Biggest Loser" challenge at work, but there was a bit of a mix up, and we didnt get the scales at all. It turns out that there are only two of us from the my department that are doing it - me and my boss!
(Quick explanation - there is our head office, about 10km up the road, they have about 150 staff there, then there is the Distribution Centre, where I work in the office, and there are about 25 staff that work there)
So, we will do our initial weigh in and "before" photos on Thursday when i get back to work......
Her and I get on really well, so I am sure that we will be able to support each other and push each other along too when needed!
I am looking forward to being crowned the Biggest Loser in 12 weeks time!!
Go me!!
Righto - I'm gonna sign off here and go and get into my lovely warm bed and get some much needed sleep!

Comments:
Oh my goodness, that must have been so scary!! Your poor wee girl - I can't think of anything worse than watching your child fight for breath. :-( Thank goodness she is ok. One of my friends had croup recently (as a 24 year old, very odd), and she was so sick. Scary stuff!!
 
Hi Jo!
This illness is scary. My daughter (1,5 years then) had it as an attack in the middle of the night. It was 2 a.m. when I and my husband absolutely unexpectedly woke up. Just woke up with no reason and discovered that our little girl was not breathing. I almost fainted; husband put his fingers into daughter's throat and pulled it open. We still don’t know how he came up to it to do so but it saved our girl, she started to make awful breathing attempts. She also had cramps. Emergency and hospital followed it of course. I never forget the scare and thought that what if we hadn’t woken up…..
I am happy that it's ok with you.
 
ohhhh poor Rhian! poor you guys!! *hugs* i was in tears reading that! my little brother used to get croup very regularly, i remember going into his room and mum and dad were boiling the jug to keep the steam going! im so glad that everything is better now though!! she seems to bounce back very quickly your girl!!! 2nd baby (same age) that i know who has had this in the last 3 days, icky!!!!
 
Poor little girl!! It is scary - one of our grandsons gets both croup and asthma. Hopefully she won't have another bout!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?