Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Question...


Just a quick question for all you knowledgeable ones out there.......
How many steps would a "normal" person do in a day.
OK, so maybe not a "normal" person, but say someone who had a sedentary job, and didn't exercise?
Reason I ask is that I have my pedometer on today, and it is reading 1448 steps already.
All I have done today since putting it on, is walk to and from the car a few times this morning, drop Rhian at daycare, walk from my car to work (not far 100m max!), up and down the stairs a few times (there are 51 to go up and down) and to the toilet a few times.
I keep checking and counting as I am walking, and it seems to be counting correctly, but 1448 just "seems" too much.
Does that make sense?

Comments:
I think it sounds about right, what you've said..
 
I usually do between 4500 and 6000 when I haven't done any exercise and I also sit on my bum all day....sux really.
 
I have been tracking a bit with the steps and I average 5800 to 6300 while at work and then get home and go for a walk and I do the rest there.

Hard really because I don't think there is an average because we are all different and some walk with bigger steps than others too.. hard one really.

Chubbymum
 
Apparantly we are SUPPOSED to do 10,000 but I can only manage that if I go for a walk at lunchtime. It is amazing how much you actually clock up just doing the running around after kids!!

I really should get my back out again, if I can recall where I "tidied it up to".
 
I'm lucky to get up to 4,000 without a bit of effort, but amazing how quickly they add up when you ave a burst of activity, and getting Rhian ready, getting to work, stairs etc - it probably is right.
 
Hi Jo
You need to aim for a minimum of 10,000 everyday, and plan to do more on exercise days. People who say that they don't need to exercise because they run around all day at work or after the kids, are kidding themselves, and are shocked when they wear a pedometer and realise how far from the 10,000 steps they are will ordinary activity.
Good luck!
 
You'd be surprised how quickly those steps can add up!

Have to say I COMPLETELY ADMIRE what you've achieved in the last two days! I've given up smoking, caffeine, committed to better food choices and getting back to exercise BUT NEVER ALL 4 AT ONCE!!!

Well done! You've definitely got the determination to succeed at this.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?